Achieving DevOps Nirvana: Automating Azure Data Platform Deployments with Terraform
Adopting full Infrastructure as Code (IaC) can be a daunting task, not always accessible to every data developer, given the variety in experience and skill-set. It is important we work towards the DevOps dream of us all being part of the process , and all being responsible for and understanding our solutions infrastructure – but how do we achieve this dream?
Terraform is a highly popular and easy to learn.IaC solution that simplifies the deployment process. Terraform can be used with all the major cloud providers: Azure, AWS & GCP. Also, specialist analytics tools such as Databricks have introduced their own Terraform providers to assist with deploying and managing resources into all major cloud providers.
In this workshop you will be introduced to Terraform, and learn its core concepts and components. We will then focus on designing and deploying an Azure Data Platform solution, including a Resource Group, Key Vault, ADLS (Azure Data Lake Store), Synapse and Databricks.
Once we have our solution, we will runn our Terraform via a DevOps CI/CD (Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment) pipeline. Finally, we will cover some of the most common security and networking challengesWe then finish with best practice guidelines and comparisons with other popular IaC solutions
Join Anna Wykes and develop the core knowledge you need to work with Terraform for your Azure Data Platform solution(s), along with transferable Terraform skills that can be used with other Cloud Providers
Feedback link: https://sqlb.it/?7156
Starts: 09:00 9th Mar 2022
Ends: 17:00 9th Mar 2022
- Join Anna Wykes and Falek Miah and develop the knowledge you need to work with Terraform for your Azure Data Platform Solution. In one day, you’ll design and deploy a Azure Data Platform solution in Terraform using a Devops Pipeline. Here you will develop transferable Terraform skills that can be used with other Cloud Providers.
Should delegates bring a laptop with them?
If so what Spec?
- Able to run VSCode, Terraform CLI, Azure CLI
What software and licences do they need?
- Prerequisite: Download and install the following on laptop: VSCode Terraform CLI Azure CLI Active Azure account - We recommend you create a free tier account using a valid email account to avoid any company policies preventing Terraform actions.
What is the structure of the day?
- Agenda: 1) Introduction Infrastructure as Code (IaC) concepts and Terraform Basics including Providers, Commands and State management, Modules, Input Variables, Data Sources 2) Deploy Basic Azure Infrastructure Including deploying Resource Group, Key Vault (KV), Data Lake Storage Account and Synapse Workspace 3) Deploy Databricks Components Including deploying Workspace, Clusters 4) Publish Terraform using CI/CD tools Including overview of CI/CD tools and Azure DevOps 5) Security Including Authenticating to Azure, Networking and Data Lake ACL roles 6) Good Practices Including Folder Structure, Variable Definitions (.tfvars) and Backend-Config 7) Compare to other IaC Including tools like Azure Bicep and Pulumi 8) Quiz and Prizes
What internet requirements do the delegates have?
- Internet connection required
What will the delegates get out of the day?
- By the end of the workshop, delegates will have the core knowledge needed to work with Terraform for Azure Data Platform solution(s), along with transferable Terraform skills that can be used with other Cloud Providers
- Terraform, Azure DevOps, Databricks
The SQL Bits Story
SQLBits was formed in 2007 by a group of volunteers who were passionate about the SQL Server product suite and wanted to provide much-needed community-driven education to the data community.
As one of the largest data platform conferences in the world, we offer more opportunities to a wider audience.
We’ve grown and expanded a lot since 2007.
SQLBits is the best place to meet fellow data professionals.
We welcome data professionals from all over the globe.
1140 recorded sessions
All the live sessions are recorded and offered for free, year round.
Experience the SQLBits Conference
Want to be part of the SQLBits community?
Attend the London conference in-person or virtually on