Data Governance in a Nutshell – From Theory to Hands-On with Azure Purview
Data is important for every organization. To know your data estate (systems), their dependencies, the responsible people and processes takes your company's data literacy to the next level.
This topic is called Data Governance, which includes two main streams: a) the organizational processes and policies and the b) the technical tools to support the organizational processes.
Many of us think, that Data Governance is a technical problem to solve, but I would start the Data Governance day with an explanation what DG is. We will talk about the people involved, the processes needed, policies that should be in place and the technology so support the processes.
The overall Data Governance vision and strategy will also be discussed.
After the DG theory part, we will dive into a Data Governance tool - Azure Purview. In the Hands-On lab we will connect to data sources, configure scans, see how Purview classifies data, assign and work with a business glossary, work with & analyze data lineage and see the Purview data catalog in action.
In the last part of the day, we will see Purview integration in action - the Apache ATLAS API will be presented as well the integration into Azure Data Factory and Azure Synapse Analytics.
At the end of the day, attendees should have a feeling about what Data Governance is, the organizational requirements as well as a first look into Azure Purview and how a technical answer to these questions can look like.
Starts: 09:00 8th Mar 2022
Ends: 17:00 8th Mar 2022
- To know your data estate (systems), their dependencies, the responsible people and processes takes your company's data literacy to the next level. This Data Governance (DG) day guides you through the a) the organizational processes and policies and the b) the technical tools to support the organizational processes. Azure Purview - as DG tool - is used for a Hands-On section of the training day to see how the organizational requirements can be solved using a tool.
Should delegates bring a laptop with them?
If so what Spec?
- Internet Browser and access to Azure subscription
What software and licences do they need?
- Instructions how to setup the demo environment are provided here: https://workingondata.wordpress.com/dgworkshop2022/ (included step-by-step instructions as well as the ZIP file with demo data) PLEASE create the environment BEFORE the workshop - there is no time planned to setup during the day! An Azure Subscription is required - the registered resource providers (Microsoft.Purview, Microsoft.Storage, Microsoft.EventHub) are necessary!
What is the structure of the day?
- Agenda of the day: * What is Data Governance? - Data Governance fundamentals - Data Governance Framework - Roles - Processes - Policies * Data Governance Tools * Azure Purview - What is it? - Principles (Data Map, Scanners, Classification, Glossary, Data Catalog, Lineage) * Azure Purview Hands-On - Manage an Azure Purview environment - Connect to Data Sources - Configure Scans - Classify Data - Use the Purview Data Catalog - Data Lineage * Advanced Topics / Purview Integration - Apache ATLAS API - Synapse and Data Factory integration
What internet requirements do the delegates have?
- Internet to access Azure Portal
What will the delegates get out of the day?
- After the day, the attendees should have a feeling what Data Governance really is - it's more than "just" a technical problem to solve. The overall mindset to be ready to start with Data Governance is - in my opinion - evenly important. In addition, the Azure Purview Hands-On brings some technical experience into the play.
- Azure Purview
The SQL Bits Story
SQLBits was formed in 2007 by a group of volunteers who were passionate about the SQL Server product suite and wanted to provide much-needed community-driven education to the data community.
As one of the largest data platform conferences in the world, we offer more opportunities to a wider audience.
We’ve grown and expanded a lot since 2007.
SQLBits is the best place to meet fellow data professionals.
We welcome data professionals from all over the globe.
1140 recorded sessions
All the live sessions are recorded and offered for free, year round.
Experience the SQLBits Conference
Want to be part of the SQLBits community?
Attend the London conference in-person or virtually on