Automate your DBA tasks with dbatools and dbachecks
Let us show you how easy it is to use PowerShell to accomplish many everyday tasks straight from the command line with the community developed modules dbatools and dbachecks.
Join Jess Pomfret and Rob Sewell, two of the dbatools in a Month of Lunches authors and take your dbatools and dbachecks skills to the next level or be introduced to dbatools and learn how effective it can make you. We will show you the skills, scripts, and tricks that we have learned with dbatools and dbachecks and tell you how they have rocketed our careers
There will be many practical examples of how dbatools and dbachecks can help to save time in DBA administration duties
- Creating Availability Groups
- Syncing Agent Jobs and Logins between replicas
- Finding SQL Instances on your estate
- Working with Central Management Server
- Disaster Recovery
- Backup Testing
- Simple instance migrations
- Complex instance migrations
- Tracking Activity
- Simplify application upgrades with database snapshots
- Working with other community tools with dbatools
- Encompassing dbatools in DevOps
- Validating your estate
- Using dbatools in the cloud (i.e. working with Azure SQL Database)
And much much more
Come and join us for a great day of PowerShell and SQL full of demos and useful solutions that you will be able to take back to your workplace. You will improve your knowledge and skills, see how the modern DBA will work and have fun at the same time.
Who Are You?
You are a DBA, senior or junior, looking after 1 or 100,000 instances, a developer who interacts with SQL Server, an accidental DBA or you have DevOps in your job title.
You are interested in improving your PowerShell skills for SQL Server or reducing the time you and your team spend administering SQL Server.
You have spent 1 day or 20 years working with SQL Server.
You know that you work in a field where automation is king and want to understand more of what is available.
You are interested in learning and improving your automation skillset.
What do you need?
All you need is yourself! We would recommend that you bring something to take notes with as well as a minimum.
All scripts and slides will be provided to you. If you wish to follow along with most of the demos you should have access to a machine that can run Docker as we will be demoing with a Dev Container. Alternatively, you may be able to follow along on a machine with PowerShell v 5 or above and a SQL Server 2012 or above instance.
feedback link: https://sqlb.it/?7228
Starts: 09:00 9th Mar 2022
Ends: 17:00 9th Mar 2022
- Let us show you how easy it is to use PowerShell to accomplish many everyday tasks straight from the command line with the community developed modules dbatools and dbachecks. Join Jess Pomfret and Rob Sewell, two of the dbatools in a Month of Lunches authors and learn how effective dbatools and dbachecks can make you. We will show you the skills, scripts and tricks that we have learned with dbatools and dbachecks and tell you how they have rocketed our careers
Should delegates bring a laptop with them?
If so what Spec?
- Fast enough to be able to run a SQL Instance and PowerShell as well as browse the internet if they wish. Being able to run Docker will enable full demo follow along functionality.
What software and licences do they need?
- if they have a SQL Instance it should have the appropriate licence - Developer Edition will be enough, however being able to run Docker will enable full demo follow along functionality.
What is the structure of the day?
- A training day session with demos that can be followed along with
What internet requirements do the delegates have?
- They won't "need" anything but may want to be able to download the containers and use Azure (or browse the net if they are bored)
What will the delegates get out of the day?
- A fast-paced full day introduction to using PowerShell and particularly dbatools and dbachecks to administer SQL Instances. Lots of fun, lots of stories of real-life examples of more complex solutions that we have automated Delegates will leave with all of the slides and code as well as being able to follow along during the day.
The SQL Bits Story
SQLBits was formed in 2007 by a group of volunteers who were passionate about the SQL Server product suite and wanted to provide much-needed community-driven education to the data community.
As one of the largest data platform conferences in the world, we offer more opportunities to a wider audience.
We’ve grown and expanded a lot since 2007.
SQLBits is the best place to meet fellow data professionals.
We welcome data professionals from all over the globe.
1140 recorded sessions
All the live sessions are recorded and offered for free, year round.
Experience the SQLBits Conference
Want to be part of the SQLBits community?
Attend the London conference in-person or virtually on